NGK Insulators: New Plant for Ceramic Products for Diesel Automotive Exhaust Gas Purifiers in Poland
NGK Insulators, Ltd./JP announced its decision to construct a new plant for large-size HONEYCERAM substrates for automobile catalytic converters for use in Diesel vehicles at NGK CERAMICS POLSKA Sp. z o.o., a manufacturing subsidiary in Poland.
Furthermore, NGK will upgrade production facilities for SiC Diesel particulate filters (DPFs) at NGK CERAMICS POLSKA with the view to increasing production capacity by around 20 % by fiscal 2013 compared with the current level. NGK expects to enter into long-term supply agreements for ceramic products for Diesel automotive exhaust gas purifiers with major customers. Accordingly, NGK will ramp up production capacity by investing approximately YEN 37 billion in six production sites for ceramics products for automotive exhaust gas purifiers worldwide, including Poland. Through these investments, NGK will successively expand production capacity for ceramic products for cordierite automotive exhaust gas purifiers, with the view to increasing production capacity by around 40 % by the end of fiscal 2013. Production at the new plant is scheduled to commence in January 2014, with a planned production capacity of units based on a conversion to standard models (8 million units based on conversion to HONEYCERAM). This is also to ensure that NGK fulfills its obligations under long-term supply agreements with major client manufacturers of Diesel engines, large vehicles, passenger cars, construction machinery and so forth. SiC-DPFs are used mainly in passenger cars because they are more heat resistant, and can capture and incinerate a greater amount of particulate matter than cordierite DPFs. Demand for ceramic products for exhaust gas purifiers is projected to expand mainly due to stricter Diesel exhaust gas regulations worldwide and increased automobile sales volume centered on emerging markets. NGK planned production increases and outline of ceramic products for exhaust gas purifiers at various sites other than Poland are as follows:
• NGK INSULATORS, LTD. Ishikawa Plant (Nomi, Japan); with new established production facilities for LSH (Large-size HONEYCERAM) and cordierite DPFs; production start: July 2013
• NGK CERAMICS SUZHOU CO., LTD. (Suzhou, China); 8th phase of capital investment with increase of production facilities for HONEYCERAM, LSH, and cordierite DPFs; production start: August 2012
• NGK CERAMICS MEXICO, S. DE R.L. DE C.V. (Cienega de Flores, Mexico); 2nd and 3rd phases of capital investment with increase of production facilities for LSH and cordierite DPFs; production start: March 2013
• P.T. NGK CERAMICS INDONESIA (Bekasi, Indonesia); 5th capital investment with increase of production facilities for HONEYCERAM and LSH; production start: April 2013
• NGK CERAMICS USA, INC. (Mooresville, USA); 5th phase of capital investment with increase of production facilities for HONEYCERAM; production start: January 2014.